history of any Christian congregation is the record of
the blessings which God showers upon the efforts of His
consecrated servants and those who hear them and bring
forth fruits of the Spirit in their lives. The history
of St. Andrew Evangelical Lutheran Church, Van Horne,
Iowa is no exception. Here, too, we find great men and
women of God, servants of His Holy Word, who have
labored long and diligently. Men, women, and children,
who having heard that Word have gone forth and brought
forth fruit, “some thirty fold, some sixty and some a
Prior to 1895, the Rev. F. A. Reinhart, pastor of St.
John Lutheran Church in Eldorado Township, Benton County
Iowa, conducted worship services in the town of Van
Horne, using a school building that was located across
the street from the present elementary school.
1895 - St. Andrew Evangelical Lutheran Church was
organized on the 12th Sunday after Trinity, September 8,
1895, chiefly by members of surrounding Lutheran
churches who were living in and around Van Horne.
Although only 20 in number, the voting members called
Rev. F.A. Reinhardt to be the first resident pastor of
St. Andrew. He would serve the Lord and His people at
St. Andrew for 14 years until 1909.
1896 – In February 1896, the congregation passed a
resolution to erect its first house of worship. It would
be a frame structure, 30 feet wide by 44 feet long
by 14 feet high. It was built at the cost of $2,000 by
the members without the help of the Mission Board or the
Church Extension Fund. This building would serve until
1897 – A Lutheran parochial school was organized. A
school house was moved in from the country and was
placed on Pastor Reinhardt’s property which consisted of
six lots in the 800 block of 2nd Avenue. It would remain
there until 1907. Pastor Reinhardt, in addition to his
pastoral duties, faithfully taught the first classes.
Pastor Reinhardt learned the favorite playground for the
children at recess was the railroad round house. He
found a buggy whip to “help” bring the children back to
1907 – The school building property was sold and later
that year, the congregation built a school building on
the present property.
1909 – The congregation accepted the resignation of
Pastor Reinhardt for reasons of the infirmity of
advancing age and ill health. The congregation called
the Rev. H.C. (Reikowsky) Reik as its second pastor. He
would serve 11 years until 1921. The first parsonage was
built on the church property during his service.
1912 – The St. Andrew Frauenverein (Ladies Aid) was
organized on November 13, 1912.
1919 – 21 young people were confirmed that year. It was
the largest class in the history of St. Andrew.
1921 – The Rev. Arnold C. Weber of Rolla, Missouri was
installed as the third pastor and served St. Andrew four
years until 1925.
1922 – On February 2, 1922, the St. Andrew Missionary
Society was organized.
1925 – On August 30, 1925, the congregation installed
Rev. William Ullerich as its fourth pastor. He would
serve 22 years until 1947. During his ministry, the
youth organization known as the “Walther League”, was
1926 – On February 7, 1926, the congregation passed the
resolution to build a new brick structure. Mr. Thorwald
Thorson, an architect from Forest City, Iowa, designed
the building. The construction firm, Jens Olesen & Sons
of Waterloo, Iowa, was the general contractor. On the
23rd Sunday after Trinity Sunday, November 7, 1926, the
new church was dedicated. It cost $30,000. At this time,
St. Andrew congregation had 350 baptized and 220
communicant members. Both English and German languages
were being used in the services.
1927 – The school was closed and the building auctioned.
It was moved to 407 6th street.
On December 18, 1927 the Pipe Organ was officially
dedicated. It was a two-manual electro-pneumatic
instrument built by M.P. Moeller Pipe Organ Company at
Hagerstown, Maryland. It cost $3,900. Professor A. Beck
of River Forest, Illinois, was the special organist for
1945 – By the 50th Anniversary of St. Andrew, records
disclosed that 695 baptisms had been performed, 447
persons confirmed, 160 couples married, and 182 members
had been given a Christian burial. In 1945, there were
365 Baptized souls, 310 communicants and 41 voting
1947 – On November 12, 1947, the Frauenverein (Ladies
Aid) disbanded and the members joined the Missionary
1948 – The Rev. Norman Rothe accepted the call to become
the fifth pastor of St. Andrew. He would serve 6 years
until 1954. During his pastorate all the outbuildings
were torn down or removed (including the barn). A new
double garage was added to the rear of the parsonage. A
considerable amount of work was done in to the church,
in particular the chancel area, including moving the
altar to the back wall.
1954 – On November 14, 1954, the Rev. Arnold Wilkening
was installed as the sixth pastor. He would serve 11
years until 1965. During his pastorate the parsonage
underwent extensive remodeling (an addition of a bedroom
and bathroom and the relocation/remodeling of the
1964 – The church was extensively remodeled. New
cathedral type light fixtures were installed. Other
improvements and additions included a communion rail,
altar fixtures, and outdoor bulletin board.
1966 – On August 7, 1966, the Rev. Carl H. Gutekunst was
installed as the seventh pastor. He would serve for 2
years until 1968.
1968 – On November 10, 1968, the Rev. Glenn E. Renken
was installed as the eighth pastor. He would serve 9
years until 1977.
1969 – The first News & Notes (i.c. Monthly newsletter)
was published. The parking area to the rear of the
church was established.
1970 – On July 5, 1970 the installation of the new pews
1974 – The parsonage was razed in order to construct a
new one on the same location. Rev. Renken and family
will live in a house on the Henning’s farm until the new
parsonage is completed.
1975 – The new parsonage was built by member Glen
Dietrich. The Renken family moved in on September 14,
and the house was officially dedicated on October 26,
1977 – On October 16, 1977, the Rev. Robert A. Willie
was installed as the ninth pastor. He would serve for
six years until 1983.
1983 – On July 17, 1983, the Rev. Frank G. Frye was
ordained and installed as the tenth pastor. He would
serve 4 years until 1987.
1988 – On June 12, 1988, the Rev. Ronald D. Burcham was
ordained and installed as the 11th pastor. He would
serve 4 years until 1992.
1991 – The sacristy was remodeled and a new sink
1992 – On August 23, 1992, Matthew P. Hempeck was
ordained and installed as the 12th pastor. He would
serve 8 years until 2000. On December 20, 1992, the new
Fellowship hall was dedicated.
1993 – On June 13, 1993, the newly remodeled church
basement was dedicated.
1994 – After many years of leaks and repairs, the bell
tower was removed on July 17, 1994.
1999 – A new free-standing bell tower was completed on
November 13, 1999.
2001 – On September 2, 2001, Rev. David Lindenberg was
ordained and installed
as the 13th pastor. He would serve 7 years until 2008.
2008 – On August 24, 2008, the Rev. David C. Lingard was
ordained and installed as the 14th pastor. He is
currently serving St. Andrew.
1895-1909 Rev. F.A. Reinhardt
1909-1921 Rev. H.C. Reik
1921-1925 Rev. Arnold C. Weber
1925-1947 Rev. William Ullerich
1948-1954 Rev. Norman Rothe
1954-1965 Rev. Arnold Wikening
1966-1968 Rev. Carl H. Gutekunst
1968-1977 Rev. Glenn E. Renken
1977-1983 Rev. Robert A. Willie
1983-1987 Rev. Frank G. Frye
1988-1992 Rev. Ronald D. Burcham
1992-2000 Rev. Matthew P. Hempeck
2001-2008 Rev. David Lindenberg
2008-present Rev. David C. Lingard
During over 100 years of St. Andrew
history, five members have taken up the work of Christ’s
- Rev. John C. Brehm, son of Mr. & Mrs. John
Jacob Brehm, graduated from Concordia Seminary,
St. Louis in 1925.
- Rev. Jason Zobel, son of Mr. & Mrs. Robert
Zobel, graduated from Concordia Seminary, St.
Louis in 1997.
- Kenneth W. Kaestner, son of Mr. & Mrs. Dan
Kaestner, graduated from Concordia Teachers
College, River Forest, Illinois in 1959.
- Jean (Stueck) Haberhern, daughter of Mr. &
Mrs. Lorenz Stueck, graduated from Concordia
Teachers College, Seward, Nebraska in 1970.
- Deanna (Zobel) Armbrecht, daughter of Mr. &
Mrs. Robert Zobel, graduated from Concordia
University Wisconsin, Mequon in 1991.
look back, we see some of the hardships, as well as many
of the joys, through which our ancestors have passed.
Progress was slow and difficult on many occasions, but
they moved forward. In all St. Andrew’s history, God’s
Word and Luther’s pure doctrine which is drawn from
God’s Word, have been taught and preached with power and
determination. God’s Word, and that alone, have made
this congregation grow and prosper.
|+Soli Deo Gloria+
(To God alone be the Glory)